This project aims to create a multi-storey housing development (850 dwellings) within Upper Hutt, on the site of the old Trentham racecourse. With a mixture of retail, residential apartments, aged care residential areas, a hotel, conference facilities and racing facilities. The housing development is situated right beside the Trentham Train Station, providing access to the North and to Lower Hutt / Wellington to the South.
This development qualified for IAF funding (Infrastructure Acceleration Fund.)
Parties involved are Upper Hutt City Council (UHCC), Kāinga Ora, RACE Inc being the owner of Trentham Racecourse (Racing at Awapuni and Trentham combined Enterprises Incorporated) and Property Developers, Gillies Group.
Current Site Context
- Trentham Racecourse
- Adjacent to Hutt International Boys School and Sommerset Retirement village
- Across the road from Trentham Railway Station
- Currently includes grandstands, offices, conference rooms and race day parking areas and other facilities.
- Protected notable trees located on the site
- Site does not include the racetrack area or race day and training stabling.
The proposal makes a significant contribution to the provision of housing supply and retains Trentham Racecourse and facilities upgrading the racecourse facilities and stands into a world-class facility, together with developing a range of complimentary mixed-use residential and other commercial opportunities, there-by ensuring the on-going vitality and viability of the racecourse.